[tinwhiskers] Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning System

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:19:17 -0400

Fellows,

I was laughing at ACE for offering such a product.  I think the idea of having
to coat each part with lead or removing lead from each part is ludicrous.  It
is horribly expensive to use a process such as this and it encourages
conformity to the lead free requirement in RoHS.

Have we really come to this?  In the year 2008?  I find this hard to believe....

It is wrong to legislate SCIENCE.  The Catholic Church tried that with Galileo.
 The earth still went around the sun; it did not matter that the Church
declared the sun went around the earth and that the earth was the center of the
universe.

There is no, I repeat, NO practical substitute for lead; None, Nada, Zip.

This is not debatable at this time.  Some day perhaps a cure will be found for
tin whiskers but there is NONE today or tomorrow.

We do not know how to stop them; we do not completely understand why they grow
in the first place.

If you have no lead whatsoever in the tin plating on your electronic parts (and
that means less than 3%) then you will guarantee that in >3 years time,
according to NASA, The US Navy and the US Air Force as well as all the experts
at mil/aerospace companies that  I have personally talked with (and at this
point that is quite a few) your products will grow tin whiskers and they will
fail.

Tin whiskers grow through SAC alloys, they grow through conformal coatings,
they are conductive and they cause failures.

Period.

This is not an inconvenience, this is a catastrophe in the making.

Anyone who thinks otherwise must be on some really good drug or in a total
state of denial.

The tin whiskers will come home to short your products; just give them time.
If 3 years life is acceptable for you; well then good for you.

I don't think that quality makers of heart pacemakers, satellites, airplanes,
missiles and nuclear weapons will consent to a 3 year life of their products.
Not even automakers and telecommunications makers would accept such a short
lifespan for their products.

And you would not want them to.

Would you?

Bob Landman, President