[tinwhiskers] Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning System

  • From: "John Lau Hon-Shing" <lauhs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 06:32:24 +0800

Dear Steve:

I don't disagree with you, but.........

I have been lecturing all over the world (>100 times) on EU and China
RoHS and bad mouthing the (Pb-ban) for no environmental or scientific
basis. I also wrote many Journal and Proceeding papers (>50) on
lead-free and most of the times, in the Introduction of the papers, I
pointed out that lead-free is not good for environments and increases
the costs of products.

Since July 1, 2006 I have been changing my mind. Why? Because it is
"COOKED"! If you want to put your electronics products in the markets of
EU, China, Japan, Korea, etc. you have to do Pb-free, period! Thus,
rather than pointing the finger (may be the 3rd one - sorry for my
language), let's try our best (to do some great/useful scientific &
engineering works) to build a sounded infrastructure for leadfree (you
may call it damage controls).

I recommend you to talk to HP, Intel, Nokia, SONY, etc. who have to ship
their products to make a living. You may hear something different and
change your mind too!

I'd never written anything in this kind of forum in my professional
life. (I saw Werner's name and just trying to say "Hi" to him. That's
all.) If I said something wrong, please forget me!

Thanks & Best Wishes!

John H. Lau
Microsystems, Modules & Components Laboratory
Institute of Microelectronics (IME)
11 Science Park Road
Singapore Science Park II
Singapore 117685