[tinwhiskers] Re: ACE Develops Lead Tinning System

  • From: "John Lau Hon-Shing" <lauhs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:29:06 +0800

Dear Werner:

How are you? Hope this email finds you well and happy as usual!

I totally agree with you that the problem is not with the entrepreneurs,
who are just trying to fill the needs for Pb-free. However, I disagree
with you that the problem is with the RoHS Pb-ban. I used to say that,
but I changed my mind 2 years ago. Why? Because if you want to put your
electronics products in the markets of EU, China, Japan, Korea, etc. you
have to do Pb-free. Thus, most of the electronics companies (for good or
for bad - thus it is not a problem anymore) are doing Pb-free, including
those with exemptions or out of the scope of RoHS. The way I see it,
10-20 years from now, more than 95% of electronics products would be
built by Pb-free. At that time, all those politicians will be laughing
at us and saying how right they have been and how wrong we were. Because
at that time, the lead-free infrastructure could be solidly/completely
built, the reliability problems reduce, the assembly yield increases,
and the cost-to-build reduces.

My dear friend, you can never win with Politicians! Enjoy your life!

Thanks & Best Wishes!

John H. Lau
Microsystems, Modules & Components Laboratory
Institute of Microelectronics (IME)
11 Science Park Road
Singapore Science Park II
Singapore 117685