[texbirds] Re: TX City Dike - Birding Vs. Security

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:04:20 -0500 (EST)

When two people share their opinions there are often three sides to the
story; two, one of each,  from both participants and third one, the truth.

My opinion is worth as much as those from other people. I am visiting  the
dike for many years, sometimes I was visiting this place daily  for a  few
months in the row (stopping by after work) and so far (knocking on the wood)
never been stopped by police there even that I was pointing my handheld
long  lens in every direction. As this is a great speed trap (25 mph posted
speed)  there (same as the whole city anyway; 30 mph in many parts) police can
be seen  often demanding money from speedy guys.  There is one important
thing to  take under the consideration - city has a lot of rough neighborhoods
there so  police officers are little different from these who are working in
River Oaks in  Houston.  Their exposure to unpredicted situations is high
and only special  kind can handle tough guys on daily basis (I am not jealous
about their work).  That said this of course does not give them rights to
go above the law and  harass innocent people. From what I saw so far they don’
t.  Some might be  unpleasant in way they give orders (seen that) and even
that I understand why  (see above who they usually deal with) I believe this
is wrong but how to find  somebody able to work with tough guys who is
always nice? - reality of life.

Personally I think this place is great one to visit during some parts of
the year. BTW just learned that skimmers from there could successfully
compete  with those from Florida where average place look so much greater in
photos.

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148759713_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148759713)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148759712_