[texbirds] Re: TX City Dike - Birding Vs. Security

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fcndc@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:56:28 -0600

Evening All,
Well it's always a gamble when posting something like I did regarding a
relatively touchy topic, hopefully no one's feathers are too ruffled, but I
felt that it was important to point out what seems to be a considerable
discrepancy between how we birders view the Texas City Dike and how local
law enforcement has apparently been instructed to patrol it. (Seems like
this gap has existed for a while per some other feedback.) Anyone's
political views, etc, aside it's something birders probably want to be
aware of when birding areas like that so that they can take steps to
minimize becoming a source of concern for local law enforcement, even
though the officers are quite friendly/professional. I'd be happy to carry
on this conversation off list but since I figure there are lot's of
opinions I'm going to make this my last post on the matter.

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX