[texbirds] Re: TX City Dike - Birding Vs. Security

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jlt290@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:15:02 -0600

Like David, I strongly support all of the efforts of the police out there
to protect me while I am birding with one of exception. Note that the
comments here have nothing to do with the initial report. Police come to
the dike on regular patrols and when called. At busy times they can have
problems as there is perhaps a little too much party with the fishing etc.
They also come when called and some out there do not like people with
cameras who can document the taking of out of season or wrong sized fish.
Like sheepshead this week or the black drum that are starting to run. They
make a phone call about the security risk and the police come to question
those taking pictures as they have to answer the complaint.
The Texas City police are very helpful but if one birds or photographs
rudely then they will seem to interfere. A bit ago I co-led a Houston
Audubon trip to the dike. A "bird photographer" was out there taking
pictures of flying birds as he only took pictures of flying birds. Of
course to get the bird to fly he had to charge the bird and scare it. We
were discussing which leader should go speak to him or to get a member of
the group to do it for us when the police arrived and stopped the activity.
A fisherman had called and complained and the police stopped the chasing of
birds and waved at us afterward. Of course the "photographer" felt harassed.

Note that the summer weekend fees pay for the police protection on the dike
and also help protect the skimmers etc that nest and use the dike. And I
sure feel safer knowing the area is protected rather than east beach where
the police never go.

The one area that does not allow photography is a good part of George Bush
park. No photography is allowed anywhere near the shooting range as any and
all photographers must be associated with the black helicopter group that
will swoop down and carry away shooters that have been photographed. The
office calls the deputies to stop any such illegal bird watching etc. and
makes sure that the offenders are chased off.

When you go down to Bolivar flats etc. just imagine what it would be like
if the deputies were not available. They do come and in a timely basis if
there is a real or apparent problem.