[texbirds] Re: TX City Dike - Birding Vs. Security

  • From: "Fred Collins" <fcndc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:53:22 -0600

Dear Texbirders,

I would suggest everyone ease-up about this. As Stennie pointed out Texas
City has reason for concern. This sort of thing has never happened to me at
Texas City but has at Quintana and Surfside both, a couple of times in the
Brazos river area. Our petro chemical industry is full of very soft targets.
Local folks and Federal agents from time to time investigate people eying
critical facilities or those they have some reason to believe are
threatened. Bird watchers don't have a clue what they are "aiming at" while
looking at birds.

As long as we, as a nation, choose to not profile the bad guys, expect the
other 349,999,000 of us to be stopped and checked from time to time. It's no
sillier than going through a body scan at an airport.

Get over it and go birding.

Fred Collins
On the prairie in Waller County Texas
      TOS Life Member
      HAS Advisory Board
      KPC Advisory Board

Subject: [texbirds] Re: FW: Re: TX City Dike - Birding Vs. Security

I have been stopped by facility and Fred Hartman security guards when
viewing into the facility or under the bridge while birding.  As it was
explained to me, the new Homeland Security laws does restrict photos and
viewing, from a certain distance to prevent terrorist from planning an
attack.

However, I don't think that distance is as far away as the dike is to the
oil refineries and chemical plants at Texas City.  Since there have been
several lethal explosions in the Texas City historically, and recently,
there may be more sensitivity to this possibility.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon