[TechAssist] Re: Fix it yourself

  • From: "William Rayburn" <premtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:26:44 -0800

Phil, I did that just last night.  A combo zenith came-in up at our local video
rental.
They take-in equipment for repair, for me, from time to time.  A tape had
gotten stuck on
eject and the customer wanted to know how much.
As a favor to Pro-Video I charge $25.00 to remove the tape and estimate the
repair.  As it
turns out I removed the back there in the store and found that the carriage had
simply
jumped the track, but none of the gears were broken.  Customer apparently
thought that was
too much and took the TV back to try the butter knife extraction method,
breaking the center
prism, a plastic rail and mangling the carriage.
Last night here's the same TV with the tape still in it and instructions to
remove the tape
and estimate.  I merely took a screw driver, lifted the carriage back into
position and
manually backed-out the tape rotating the load motor.  I left a note not
repairable and a
bill for my estimate.  He'll get another from Pro-Video when he learns that the
butter knife
method also broke the cassette case.
Bill

William H. Rayburn, CET