[tcb] Re: Type 2 - 1967 & Earlier - Stock or Type 2 - 1967 & Earlier - Custom

  • From: "w.wood" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:32:17 -0400

Okay, I'm biting my tongue here since I have a couple of "toys" with
something other than stock engines.

1) In a stock ACVW bus with later redux boxes, at about 5000 RPM you're
hitting 70mph
2) Stock crankshafts are not counterweighted and the stock engine balance
works well for routine driving.
3) given those two factors, running at those speeds all the times causes
premature wear due to vibration.
4) If you want long life, go with a counterweighted crank and balance the
rotating assembly.  you can then rev to your hearts content but the
next thing in the chain is the valvetrain, upgrade to solid shaft, better
rockers and better valve springs as well as higher quality valves.

Now, for displacement.  With RGBs, a 1600 does fine.  If you go straight
axle, you need more power and a 1600 won't be able to push it without other
changes (lower profile tires, carrying less weight etc.)

This is one of those subjects that goes down a path that also gets very
expensive.  I have one engine, in a street bus, that has over $6000 in
parts.  I could build a V8 for less money and I'm now thinking of another
aircooled alternative just for the heck of it.  there's also not a lot of
parts out there that I wouldn't trust so quality costs.

A 1776 is a great engine but a 1776 SP is about as far as I'd go with Single
Port Heads.. It's not an A/F thing it has to do with breathing.  The power
and the heat is in the cylinder heads and while guys made a mint porting and
polishing 40HP and 1500 SP Heads, it's all about racing classes and vintage
look because a stock set of dual ports will outflow the best single port
setup you can have.  Flow = power and better flow in an ACVW also helps with
cooling by easing the flow of gasses out of the engine.

Here's the simple truth, if you like the way your VW runs, keep it stock.
If you have  money to burn, play with things but expect subsequent losses in
reliability and driveability if you start changing things around.  Me?  I
put a Judson on a Barndoor with Barndoor RGBs!  It'll go 55MPH with that
Judson, it'll get there fast too but above 55 I'm rattling my teeth!  I also
have a 2.4L engine that makes me just love to beat up on Hondas but above
90MPH and I remember that old metal up front, the old drag link steering so
I back off.   Ask Brian about the ride he had in my DC on the back roads of
Fredricksberg sometime.

Also, with any ACVW bus, remember this.  The faster you go just consider
what is in front of you.  1) not a lot of space 2) Old steel that is at
least approaching middle age.  3) the Old suspension technology and 4) Drum
Brakes... eek.