[SI-LIST] Re: Questions on Reference Planes for DDR3 signals

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Liuluping <liuluping@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:35:11 -0700

On Scott's request I put together a spice deck. It is configured for
SRS. v(Vddq,Vssq) and v(termVddq,termVssq) show a few mVpp of noise.
There's only a 20pF capacitor between Vddq and Vssq to handle spikes
caused by the non-ideal pullup/down switches.
One can comment the WSRS line, uncomment the WGndRef line and change
rterm2 to 50 ohm to simulate the Vss-only referenced case. v(Vddq,Vssq)
noise is much greater in this case, demonstrating the need for a robust
low impedance PDN.

v(sout,Vssq) is the signal waveform at the TX, v(termout,termVssq) is
the signal waveform at the RX.

Spice:
*
* Compare Symmetrically Referenced Signaling (SRS)
* to conventional Vss only referenced signaling
*

.trans 0.01ns 10ns
.print v(termout,termVssq)
.print v(out,Vssq)
.print v(sout,Vssq)
.print v(Vddq,Vssq)
.print v(termVddq,termVssq)

* Two pulse sources to drive the pullup and pull down switches
v1 1 0 pulse 0 1 0ns 0.01ns 0.01ns 2ns 5ns
v2 2 0 pulse 1 0 0ns 0.01ns 0.01ns 2ns 5ns

* Pull up switch
gpu pu Vddq vcr 1 0 1000
rpu pu out 50

* Pull down switch
gpd pd Vssq vcr 2 0 1000
rpd pd out 50

* On-die capacitance between Vddq and Vssq
c1 Vddq Vssq 20p

* Inductor in series with battery to make battery AC "open circuit"
l1 Vddq battpos 1e-3

vbattery battpos battneg 2
r2 Vssq battneg 1e-3

.option post=2 post_version=2001

* Stack up for W-element
.MATERIAL diel_2 DIELECTRIC ER=4 LOSSTANGENT=0.02
.SHAPE rect RECTANGLE WIDTH=10mil,
+ HEIGHT=30mil

.LAYERSTACK stack_1,
+ LAYER=(PEC,1mil), LAYER=(diel_2,1200mil),
+ LAYER=(PEC,1mil)

.MODEL tline W MODELTYPE=FieldSolver,
+ LAYERSTACK=stack_1,
+ RLGCFILE=ex1.rlgc
+ CONDUCTOR=(SHAPE=rect, ORIGIN=
+ (50mil,150mil)),
+ CONDUCTOR=(SHAPE=rect,
+ ORIGIN=(50mil,200mil)),
+ CONDUCTOR=(SHAPE=rect, ORIGIN=
+ (50mil,250mil))

rout out sout 50e-3

* W-element connected in SRS configuration
WSRS Vddq sout Vssq 0 termVddq termout termVssq 0 FSmodel=tline

* Same w-element connected as conventional Vss-only referenced line
*WGndRef Vssq sout Vssq 0 termVssq termout termVssq 0 FSmodel=tline
+N=3 l=4000mil

* Termination resistors
* Change rterm2 to 50 for Vss-only case
rterm1 termVddq termout 100
rterm2 termout termVssq 100

* Same w-element used to verify line impedance is ~50 ohm.
Wztst 0 5 0 0 0 floatout 0 0 FSmodel=tline
+N=3 l=4000mil
rsrs 1 5 50
.end

Schematic:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1SXvUJqinZYSHBiNWRNeGZGYjQ

Thanks,
Vinu

On 07/15/2012 08:33 PM, Liuluping wrote:

> Thanks Chris, your explain Is very helpful, especially the sampling
> point problem.
>
> Also thanks to Steve ,Vinu ,Scott and all the experts, though not full
> understand ,but your discussion is very wonderful, may be the
> symmetrically referencing both Vdd and Vss in a push pull driver
> system can¡¯t cancel the SSO to zero due to the unequal inductance ,
>
> But it may reduce the SSO noise close to zero , I thought that¡¯s the
> original purpose which a demo boards design from a Top IC vendor,
> who¡¯s application notes strongly recommend the DDR3 signal should
> symmetrically referencing both Vdd and Vss.
>
> I also search the in the web ,the oldest paper about this topic I can
> get is:
>
> Modeling of simultaneous switching noise in high speed systems
>
> Sungjun Chun; Swaminathan, M.; Smith, L.D.; Srinivasan, J.; Zhang Jin;
> Iyer, M.K.
>
> Advanced Packaging, IEEE Transactions on
>
> Publication Year: 2001 , Page(s): 132 ¨C142
>
> Which was referd in Madhavan and A.Ege¡¯s ¡°Power integrity modeling and
> design for semiconductors and systems¡±,chapter 3.
>
> It shows that the return current flow in the vdd plane when signal
> transition from low to high (unterminal signal),
>
> when signal from high to low , the current in the signal line will
> flow into the GND plane.
>
> So a intuitive thought was why not use a symmetrically referencing
> both Vdd and Vss to reduce the reference plane transition, in order to
> reduce the SSO noise?
>
> Thanks again to all the experts, and sorry to Hirshtal that borrow
> your questions £º£©
>
> LIU Luping
>
> ·¢¼þÈË: Cheng, Chris [mailto:chris.cheng@xxxxxx]
> ·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2012Äê7ÔÂ13ÈÕ9:51
> ÊÕ¼þÈË: Liuluping
> ³­ËÍ: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Ö÷Ìâ: RE: Questions on Reference Planes for DDR3 signals
>
> Luping,
>
> Sorry for the delay, work has been busy.
>
> I do believe the high speed current loop will always come from the on
> die decoupling but that doesn't mean reference plane optimization is
> not important.
>
> How tight you control the reference plane w.r.t. the signal path
> determines how strong a mutual term you can get to lower your overall
> signal path loop inductance. Which is a di/dt issue, not a decoupling
> issue.
>
> As for the odd mode vs. even mode SSO, you are assuming the ringing is
> settled within one cycle and the perfect sampling point is in the
> middle of UI. In simulations and as in real life, we observed the
> optimal sampling point is slightly later than 1/2 UI. That makes an
> odd mode "pull in" more problematic than an even mode "push out"
>
> HTH
>
> Chris Cheng
>
> Distinguished Technologist , Electrical
>
> Hewlett-Packard Company

> [...]