[SI-LIST] Re: 答复: Questions on Reference Planes for DDR3 signals

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Liuluping <liuluping@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 05:09:38 -0700

There seems to be some confusion going around about the channel on the
PCB, and the package launch.

2) can only reduce the SSO in half under a special set of conditions.
That's the best it can do.

You can view 2) as taking N 50 Ohm lines and converting them to 2N
paired 100 Ohm lines, one line for each that references Vss and another
that references Vdd. If Lvdd and Lvss between the PCB and die are equal,
then the di/dt through Lvdd and Lvss are each half what it would have
been with N 50 Ohm lines referencing only Vdd or Vss with the same Lvss
or Lvdd. The assumption of equal Lvss and Lvdd is questionable. It
relies on a package designer either naively choosing the number of balls
for each rail, or planning for this balanced stripline PCB routing.

A smart package designer planning for the method 1) would allocate
enough Vdd and Vss connections to realize appropriate Lvdd and Lvss for
the number of lines that will reference each. So, if a memory controller
had 24 A/C that the designer intends should reference PCB Vdd and 128
data lines that should reference PCB Vss, then the ball pattern should
have a ratio of about 6 Vss for every Vdd. The key thing to remember is
that SSO builds across shared impedance. If the shared impedance is very
low relative to the di/dt, and there are not resonance problems, then
the SSO will be small. A very conservative package would carry one
signal return ball for each single ended signal ball.

Signals should only make absolutely necessary reference changes.
Differential or not, I recommend routing high speed data lines against a
contiguous Vss reference.

Steve

--
Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: