[SI-LIST] Re: Questions on Reference Planes for DDR3 signals

  • From: Ken Wyatt <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hirshtal Itzhak <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:18:08 -0600

Itzhak,
Follow Steve advice.

The only thing I might add is to be sure to extend the return planes along the
entire data/address/control pathway. Avoid crossing gaps or jumping from one
reference plane to another along the return path. We designers often forget
that it's the signal -current- that's important. Where does the return current
want to go as it returns to the source? High frequency (> 10 kHz!) currents
tend to flow on the path of -least impedance-. We need to make it easy by
avoiding the crossing of gaps/slots in reference planes and jumping from one
reference to another.

Also, avoid running clock lines along the edge of your PC board - keep them
internal. You might also lay them out first, so they are direct and -short-

Cheers, Ken.
_______________________
Kenneth Wyatt
Wyatt Technical Services LLC
Woodland Park, CO
Email Me! | Web Site | Blog
The EMC Blog (T&M World)
Subscribe to Newsletter
Connect with me on LinkedIn

On Jun 21, 2012, at 2:39 AM, steve weir wrote:

> Hirshtal, this all amounts to reducing signal disturbance.
> Unfortunately, this is another case of:  "It all depends."   The data
> signals constitute the higher data rates as well as the greater number
> SSOs, so they deserve more care than the A/C signals.  However, if you
> want reliable operation at speed, reasonable care must be employed with
> both.  You have a few basic options:
>
> 1. Follow a proven topology exactly as though your life depends on it.
> Pray that the gods of reference designs will reward your dedicated
> obedience by blessing your effort.
>
> 2. Develop and evaluate design rules that are suitable to your
> particular situation.  Tool sets are available to evaluate different
> topologies, such as from Si-Soft.  If you don't have the tools, the
> budget, or the time, then you can lean on an outside service to do this
> for you.
>
> 3. Try to develop rules ad-hoc without checking and hope that Murphy
> does not decide to amuse himself at your expense.  The more conservative
> the rules you set, the more likely you can save yourself the wrath of
> Murphy.
>
> Slides 14 and 15 of this presentation available on my web-site
> illustrate what you face with different routing topologies:
> http://www.ipblox.com/pubs/SVCEMC_May_2005/capacitor_placement_public_b.pdf
>
> A couple of comments:  Memory packages and DIMMs reference data lines to
> Vss.  DIMMs reference A/C to VDDQ.  This was done to support low layer
> count PCBs.  It works.  You will avoid introducing extra noise and
> cross-talk by extending those references in your channel end to end.
> What your memory controllers reference varies.  Any reference change you
> introduce will inject energy between the the references used.  This can
> be handled, but requires work and more analysis.  And unless the design
> is low performance, it usually imposes more cost for equal performance.
>
> A final note:  Always treat clock with the utmost care.  Barring some
> terrible cost impact a continuous Vss reference is a good way to treat
> clocks.
>
> Steve
> On 6/21/2012 1:42 AM, Hirshtal Itzhak wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I've been looking at DDR3 layout guides from Micron and from some
>> manufacturers of DDR3 controller devices and haven't found a clear
>> recommendation for how to deal with the issue of reference planes for DDR3
>> interfaces in a stripline configuration. Also, there are some other
>> "reference-plane" issues which I hope someone can clarify.
>>
>> So here are the questions I haven't found a clear answer for:
>>
>> (1)                           Almost all recommendations that I've found are
>> to route data-group signals "adjacent to a solid GND Layer". Can I,
>> therefore, route them adjacent to both a GND and a Power plane in a
>> stripline configuration? Does it matter if the stripline is symmetric
>> (relative to the 2 ref planes) or not?
> [...]

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: