[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tbiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tbiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:15:30 -0800

Well, let's not attack and look at the technical reason.

In order to induce a functional failure, you will have to couple the common
mode disturbance on the local ground to either the core power distribution
on die (to cause internal IC failure) or signal lines w.r.t. the receiving
reference (to cause I/O failure).

If you look at the signaling failure case, what you really want is the local
signals that happen to reference the local disturbance to be as tightly
coupled to the disturbance itself so that the signal and its return cancel
out the local disturbance.

Translation : manage your signal and its reference tight ("Common Sense
Principle" again).

If you start off with an improperly reference plane and it suffers an ESD
discharge event that results in local common mode noise, you will need the
BC planes to minimize the common mode noise on the reference plane that can
not follow the return current path. But two wrong don't equal to one right.

Let's also look at the impact on the core power distribution case. If for
some unfortunate case the discharge happens through your package (as in the
case I had with the oscillator), any BC on the PCB has to run through the
same <100MHz die/packaging power distribution choke point as I point out
many times.

Translation : Not much you can help with BC on board.

The reverse is also true for common mode noise that happens externally to
the chip on board. You first have to generate enough noise, then get through
the <100MHz decoupling and planes caps then you have to run through the
>100MHz filtering by the package to harm the die. This is exactly the reason
why I prefer multiple chassis and logic ground attachment (tight coupling)
because it will end up having a much lower impedance path for the common
mode noise to flow out instead of needing to go through your precious
package and critical die.

Does this sound technical enough for you ?