[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: "Pommerenke, David" <davidjp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:10:40 -0600

Let me comment on this again.

I doubt that there is a general answer with regard to connecting grounds
or not.=20

In my opinion the real interesting aspect of ESD design is to really
understand which trace, which net and which IC input or output is
affected by ESD and how the process first unfolds electromagnetically
and then logically within the system.

Using the knowledge on the sensitivity of PINs in the design helps
avoiding softerrors. This type of information is much more specific than
the overall connection of some grounds, more cost efficient than
shielding and can be obtained by quantifying the systems response to
currents and voltages (pulses as seen by a trace when ESD is applied to
the enclosure) when those are injected into specific nets, IC PINS,
heatsinks and other suspect locations.

Now knowing the sensitivity of I/O pins to softerror causing pulses, one
learns which traces to be very careful with. This takes the black magic
out of ESD, well at least parts of it.

David Pommerenke
Associate Professor
Electromagnetic Compatibility Group