[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'khayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <khayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:58:08 -0800

Bingo.
I've seen a large enterprise class server under contact ESD test being taken
down by a single zap.
The problem was traced back to the isolated chassis and logic ground. If you
zap it in the right place, the discharge is going through the metal can of
the oscillator in the middle of the master clock board. The crystals inside
doesn't like the voltage disturbance and the clock goes away. It is really
awesome to see all those blinking LEDs on the refrigerator size server go
south in an instant when you zap it with the ESD gun. Makes you feel like a
superman.

ESD test, copper tapes, cutting fingers, pain....ouch ouch ouch