[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: "hansm" <hans.mellberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:21:03 -0800

The extremely fast risetime is from the displacement current between the EUT
and the human hand or discharge instrument due to the immediate local
charges between them. There is a small but significant equivalent
capacitance between the hand an EUT in addition to the capacitiance between
the rest of the human and the EUT which is in addition to the capacitiance
of the EUT to ground and the human to ground. Modeling is dificult because
it is a geometry coupled with distance coupled with time to reach the
discharge point through a resistive medium with varying impedance over
frequency. There are many research papers on this subject both at IEEE and
EOS/ESD (IITRI) symposia. This is not a disputed event, high voltage
discharge phenomenae has been studied to death and resultant current wisdom
does not dispute the sub-nanosecond risetimes. You will not find ESD
exxperts disputing subnanosecond risetimes of the lower voltages (less than
6-8 kV) Doug Smith is among the world experts on ESD phenomenae.

Hans Mellberg
Engineering Manager
BACL, a TCB and an EU CAB
230 Commercial Street