[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: "Brent DeWitt" <bdewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'Chris Padilla'" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'W. Michael King'" <wmiking@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:22:02 -0700

Hi Chaz,

I have great respect for Lee's opinions, but I suspect this one may have
been slightly mis-spoken.  Even with the now ,admittedly, limited response
of the Pelligrini target, it is acknowledged that the ideal ESD waveform has
frequency components in the GHz region.  In defense of Mr. Ritchey, once a
contact discharge event is coupled onto a relatively large conducting
structure, only the current event remains high frequency.  The frequency
components of the voltage event may be significantly reduced both in
amplitude and frequency.  The magnitude of the effect really falls back to
the relative impedance of the  of the "victim" circuit.  Low Z, H field is
an killer.  High Z, E field is an killer.

Best regards sir,

Brent DeWitt (still looking for a job folks!)
www.home.ix.netcom.com/~bdewitt
Loveland, CO

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org