[SI-LIST] Re: ESD is a low frequency event -really??

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>,Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:37:10 -0800

Steve,
I would propose modifying your circuit a little bit,

vsource 1 0

R1 1 12
L1 12 13
CX 13 23
* remove CY1 13 0

R2 1 22
L2 22 23
* remove CY2 23 0

*add the following
R3 1 32
L3 32 33

Inoise 23 0

Rshunt 33 23a
Lshunt 13a 23

The R3/L3 represent the chassis and the Inoise is the ESD discharge injected
into the logic ground branch.
The question then becomes whether making the Rshunt/Lshunt very small (dead
shorts between chassis and logic ground) and R3/L3 very small (gigantic
chassis metal cage vs. copper PCB planes) makes the differential noise
between 23 and 13 even smaller by steering the current through branch R3/L3
instead of R1/L1 and CX.

What do you think ?