[SI-LIST] Re: DDR SDRAM signal routing

  • From: "Chris McGrath" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:32:36 -0800

I'll just chime in and say that we have a design with the 440GX with ten =
memory chips (same Micron chips but 16 bits wide, so the chip count is =
lower) and it is completely embedded memory (no DIMM).  Due to time =
constraints, we had an external company simulate the interface but for =
reasons that I can share privately (not on the list) we ended up redoing =
them all ourselves and had to change the termination topology for =
something that simply considering SI does not get you- maximum timing =
margins.

If you are just doing a DIMM design, the app notes will take you most of =
the way there but if you have not dissected the 440GX memory controller, =
I encourage you to spend some serious time understanding it.  We have an =
internal ADIC paper written on it that is over 100 pages long because =
the IBM/AMCC application documentation was insufficient (at the time, =
anyway) to guarantee high reliability in systems such as ours.  In a =
nutshell, there are many knobs to turn in that chip to tune the timing, =
so the SI is one piece of it.  Different termination topologies have =
been shown in simulation and subsequently in lab verification to affect =
overall timing margins as well as the variance in timing margins between =
boards.  We have lots of data to support this and I hold this up as an =
example of how SI and timing work hand-in-hand and we have learned =
through experience that "optimizing" is a term that must be applied to =
the system and not just one element of the design.

We did rigorous simulations on that interface and beat the heck out of =
it in the lab (including performance testing in the thermal chamber and =
having software do active calibration of the delay lines at boot time), =
so simulation was only one piece of the design effort. =20

The bottom line is that if you are not in a high reliability system and =
you are using a DIMM, you may be able to cut some corners on SI but you =
may pay for them later depending on the rigor of your testing or, worse, =
the rigor of your customers' environments. =20

-Chris

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org