[SI-LIST] Re: DDR SDRAM signal routing

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:23:10 -0500

Brian
So based on your comments, I understand that Intel Corporation will
Guarantee the design solutions that are provided to customers in
application notes and design guidelines.  Is that correct?

scott

Moran, Brian P wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>
>Your point is well taken. If you're willing to do the simulations you
>can sometimes further optimize the design for your specific solution
>space, and in some cases perhaps even eliminate the need for some
>components. For example, series Rs are often specified in guidelines to
>cover certain topology corner cases that do not exist in some designs,
>but do exist within the overall solution space simulated in the
>generation
>of the guidelines. So if you have the time and resources there is always
>potential to leverage your knowledge of the actual platform design and
>stackup to further optimize. Another example would be the PCB
>fabrication parameters. Our guidelines assume a fairly wide range of
>material tolerances and trace tolerances. These ranges are specifed to
>cover 90% of the known PCB vendor space, so customers can use the most
>cost effective vendors. If you know your using a higher tier vendor with
>tighter capabilities, you can ring more out of your design that our
>guidelines might specify. It's a question of return on investment, but I
>would never discourage anyone from doing their own simulation,
>especially where a design is known to have fewer degrees of freedom than
>the general case. Before I start removing components, however, I'd want
>to have complete confidence in my models. The good news is you don't
>have to simulate if you can live with the generic solution.
>=20
>Brian P. Moran=20
>Calistoga SIE Kit Leader=20
>Intel Corporation=20
>brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx=20

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
(503) 750-6481 Cellular
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org