[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:02:52 -0800

Istvan,

I had too much champagne to continue a coherent discussion in the list for
the past few days but I feel good enough to continue now.

It seems you have been dancing around between core power analysis and I/O
simulation when confronted with technical questions and on your real
personal experiences/responsibility in SUN.

It all starts with my assertion that to do a descent job of SSO analysis on
IO, ones need the complexity and flexibility of SPICE and not some mickey
mouse IBIS analysis. Note that this was aiming at SSO I/O analysis, nothing
to do with core power analysis, but since you like to drag issues in to
confuse the discussion, I am game on core power analysis too.

Through out the subsequent dozen or so discussions you seems to keep
insisting SPICE is no longer needed or necessary in your line of work in SUN
so it really made me curious as I thought I work on a few of the designs
there and I thought I understand their methodologies well.

When you make a statement like "For large chunksof silicon, like CPU cores
and sophisticated IO circuits, the SPICE model may be prohibitively large".
I take it you are asserting those analysis can be or is already done without
SPICE. When I tried to confirm that, you seemed to avoid giving me the
answer but throw out another statement like "do you honestly think that
large cores of today's big CPUs can be included at the transistor level for
PDN simulations?" And my answer was and still is absolutely. If you recall
my analogy of PDS in a high performance chip core being like an irrigation
system in a Japanese garden with the fastest and smallest decoupling being
in the core, then passing it to the medium speed and medium bulk caps on
package and finish in the slow and bulky large caps in the PCB. Depends on
where you sit, you analysis can range from full blown scaled transistor
level of core clock buffers, ff, logic levels, pipeline and multilayer metal
grid mesh for the chip global analysis engineer to a co-op student I hired
to do a simple one dimension lumped model of the PCB low speed capacitor
analysis. That's why I was insisting on whether you have actually worked on
chip core power analysis work. And as it turns out, you didn't and you
shouldn't making statements that you have no experience in and also
factually incorrect. You make a quick exit by simply saying you are only
responsible for PCB level core PDS and don't need that level of
sophistication. Not to belittle you or anyone doing PCB core power analysis,
that's what I hired summer interns to do. If you recall what I have insisted
through out the years, by the time the power distribution reaches outside
the package, it is below 100MHz or less. Hardly needing any sophisticated
tool or analysis methodology. A simple 1 dimensional ladder network with
loop inductance of power/ground planes and lumped models of the decoupling
caps together with their pads loop inductance can be more than enough to
accurately predict what the die will see. But to extend this simplified
model claim for the on die analysis is simply misleading. But I forgive you
since you don't have experience in both packaging and core power analysis.

However, why do you want to drag this to muddy the original discussion of
SPICE is needed for SSO analysis for I/O ? What does core power analysis
needing SPICE or not has to do with I/O SSO simulations ?

With that, I have to repeat my question, "what else do you use beside SPICE
in SUN to analyze SSO on your highspeed buses ?"

Since you still won't answer me, I would have to make possible guesses on
your answer :

a) You really are a high speed low drag kinda guy in SUN that developed this
super secret design methodology that can analyze SSO in I/O performance
without using SPICE and it work so well that you can only brag about it but
can't tell anyone outside what it is.

b) You really are a high speed low drag kinda guy in SUN but the reality is
you need SPICE to handle the complication and flexibility needed to handle
SSO analysis. But being a guy that like to argue with Chris the pitbull in
SI-list, you just claim you don't need it anymore and IBIS will handle it
fine. Hey, no big deal, I've seen many people don't practice what they
preach.

Which one are you really ? Or do you really have bus design responsibility
in SUN ? If it is top secret that you can not disclose in a public forum, I
was in the small bus design community in SUN and still know a lot of them so
I can probably find out myself.

A few comments on your statements :

"The package behaves like a redistribution filter, and for the PCB-package
interface, all what people need is the distilled characteristics. It can be
IBIS or anything else"

Well, once again, are you trying to muddy core power analysis with I/O SSO
analysis ? While the core noise will be highly filtered to <100MHz by the
time it hits the PCB, you are not suggesting using IBIS to analyze core
power noise, are you ? And for SSO that happens deep inside the die pad due
to power/ground bounce, the noise is propagated through the highly effective
signal transmission line out at a much higher bandwidth. Afterall, you are
trying to push Gb/s signals out through the same signal wire, aren't you ?

"But it becomes impractical to use the same level of detail, when we try to
figure out the SSN in a large package, which may have possibly many hundred
IO cells."

Well, it may be impractical to simulate many hundred individual I/O cells.
You do know there is a m=x scaling factor in SPICE, don't you ? And it
doesn't even need to be integer. Are you suggesting each an every one of
your bits in your bus are different ?

"for board-level core PDN design, I used to use SPICE. In recent years,
however, I have been using very minimal or none SPICE."

Well, like I said above, PCB level core PDN design is something so low speed
and simple that I hired summer intern to do it. If you don't use SPICE to do
such simple task, how much simpler tool do you need ? It's just a simple 1
dimensional ladder network.

Finally, how come your tribe hasn't claim you yet and leave you doing a
General Custer in an open forum ?

Happy New Year.