[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages

  • From: "Russell D. Moser" <r.moser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hassan@xxxxxxxx>, "'silist'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:03:37 -0500

 I recollect that there always was and always will be issues on
cross-application transfers - not only from the aspect of the
translation itself but the differences in the way geometry is drawn.
When we started using ANSOFT at AMP in the late 80's (when it was very
young) we had a dxf translator. We soon found that we had to coordinate
with the mechanical designers whom created the geometry to alert them to
habits that they had developed that did not impact the visuality (I
think I just invented a word!) of the work but had underlying database
issues (i.e. when copying an object, the source for the copy was
duplicated and overlayed - not a problem to the eye but you could
imaging the geom engine choking!).
 So we muddled through those issues early on and then ANSOFT and others
(double precision numbers versus single in the raw geom. Data and the
like) and got to some semblance of order. We then started a formal
modeling of many AMP connectors in a production-type environment. Thing
went well until the Z-axis came into play.
 The leap to 3d analysis and it potential for extracting parameters
tantalized us all and raised the specter of importing files once again.
I was an active 3D modeler up until the ability to pull in stereo
lithography files in the late 90's so I have gone on with creating my
own geometry or importing basic constructs of the component and
manipulating them within HFSS directly.
 Well, there is my monthly epistle to the masses. Anecdotal at best,
bit-bucket bound at worst.

BTW
This has been an interesting year on the reflector...I have learned many
things....and look forward to a productive 2005. Regards to you all.

Russell D. Moser
Orion Group
r.moser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.theoriongroup.net