[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: what a lot of nonsense!

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Schipstar@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:27:42 -0400

    Well, I do not find my post redundant, contradoctory, or, on its own
merits, confusing.  Nor do I suspect that you are extremely dense.  I do
think you are purposely misunderstanding.
    I believe I said that you will learn to see the difference if you
attend the shows...not just one but several.  To my mind, if you are of
average intelligence and can't understand the differences after putting
in the time,  then perhaps you should give up trying to understand
them.  The people who do "get it" didn't do it by reading books or
posts; they learned by seeing with their own eyes.  Like sailing...or
riding a horse, neither of which you can learn without doing, no matter
how much you read.
    If you have shown Collies and Corgis and don't know that there are
dogs in those breeds that never go to the all breeds, just as there are
those who never go to specialties, then, with no insult intended, your
experience in those breeds is extremely limited.
    I suspect that you do not want to accept the simple explanation that
I gave elsewhere in my post, which, by the way, was a serious attempt to
help you...in case you were so confused that you didn't get that far,
however, I will repeat it:   The belief is (and it isn't far from wrong)
that the average all-rounder judge won't appreciate the fine points of
the breed.
    I suggest you ask your friends in Collies, Shelties, and Pembroke
Welsh Corgis how long they have been seriously involved in showing and
how many of their National Specialty winners during their time in the
breed are campaigned at the all breed shows.  If they have been around
for any length of time and are truthful, they are likely in the first
two breeds to say None, and in Corgis, the correct answer is "most but
not all."
    I have a dear friend who breeds Chihuahuas and Cresteds...I asked
her about a particular Chihuahua not too long ago and her reply was not
"he's a specialty dog" but "those people only show at specialties."  So
perhaps you are looking for Bible quotes...you aren't going to get those
in the dog world.
    Working ability is not of interest to all show dog people, either,
and should not be part of the criteria, since it is not part of it for
everyone.
Peggy