[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: re health and genetics question

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:22:28 -0700

I am certainly not an expert on GSD longevity, but if I were to take the
results from the 13 club submissions on which I worked… There were relatively
few submission for the first years, and LOTS more as the years went on.
Now I ABSOLUTELY know that had nothing to do with how many dogs lived to be 13,
but by the acceptance and increased submissions to the program.  My point is
without a science-based survey (not random questionnaires), nobody can say with
any certainty whether dogs are living longer or not.

We run into this in a lot more ways than in dogs longevity, disease prevalence,
temperament improvement (or not).  People have a point of view, and they invest
a lot into maintaining that POV.   I see it a LOT in legislation… think of the
politicians that can be  absolutely convinced that there is a dog
overpopulation and they go along legislation to curb dog breeding.  I could go
on…. <G>

Stormy

On Jun 16, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Mike & Sheila Metz <Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> "Please tell me
> that you have something more.............for their lives. Please tell me
> their.......hasn't pinned their hopes to......."

Stormy V. Hope