[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Problem.. health & genetics question

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>, <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Terry Cochran" <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:24:36 -0700

The problem of course is NOT that we don't KNOW the problems.   We have
either experienced a couple of them, or know other breeders that experienced
some of them.   Knowing many breeders....we all pretty much know of and have

heard of,  or experienced all the problems.  WE ARE AWARE!!
NONE Of us are happy when we get a problem...ANY problem.  No breeder breeds
for poor quality...let alone health problems.
NO book will solve any of it nor make us more aware than our own experience
or knowing other owners and breeders that have experienced them.
The PROBLEM is ....we cannot SOLVE it until there is some method of genetic
testing.
We do not need to be "preached" to.   WE ARE THE CHOIR!!
In the words of Mike M.....<G>....most of us DO give a "rats ass"... <G>
Part of Terry Cochran's post below pretty much says a lot IMO.
When you get an OUTSTANDING dog in a litter of nice pups...but one puppy has

a problem....or one in the litter dies young at 8 yrs....or develops a
problem...I suspect that NO ONE is going to throw away that very special
outstanding animal.
It is the frosting on the cake to get ONLY GOOD, and to get it ALL EVERY
TIME...and we all wish all of you the BEST ON THAT GREAT HOPE!!   <G>

We all even have that GREAT HOPE for our own families....let alone our dogs.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

 On Behalf Of Terry Cochran To: Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
.......clipped ......

I do know one thing in the few breedings I have done. When you outcross
American to German you are hoping to create a healthier dog but you are only
guessing about one side of the pedigree because you will not  know the
health history of one side. If you line breed on the American side with an
outcross you will get all of your old problems back.
One of my favorite breeding was Hermine to Ruff . The last of those is still
going strong at 14 years. She can still jump on the grooming table still
goes for her mile walks. Her sister died of mesentric torsion at 6. tell me
was that a good or a bad breeding? Do I ditch the son of that pairing
because his one aunt died early. How about all the others that lived past
12?

In truth we can only do the best we can.

Terry who only breeds for herself

Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest FarmTo: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx;
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: pinehillgsds@aol.comSubject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: re health & genetics
question

Diane, I did not bring people into the equation someone else did.  I was
replying to their references.  No, there is no prefect person or
dog or anything for the matter.  Every living animal including
people have flaws but you do not continue to breed health
and temperment issues on.

As far as using Genetic books for reference, it does not
matter the age of the book if the dogs were the GSD's
of the past and if they have been linebred-inbred throughout the years.
Genetics and history do repeat themselves.

I am not new to owning GSD's I have been around them all my life.
I have experienced several diseases in my GSD's and dealt with friends
who lost theirs to them.  This is the main reason I
have researched for many years through books, talking to breeders, owners,
etc.
for answers.  Theresa

________________________________
 From: "Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx" <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>

what i WAS responding to was the statement that basically suggested the
correlation between breeding dogs and having children.  there are no
perfect
dogs.  there have never been any perfect dogs and there never WILL  be any
perfect dogs.  as breeders, all we can do is try our best.  if  anyone out
there thinks they can eliminate all the issues, or that reading an  outdated

book on genetics will have all the answers, i have a pretty gold bridge  to
sell them.

diane