[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gas prices and showing

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx, jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:34:54 EDT

I wish that was the answer, Tom.   But I still see big pick-up after big
pick-up heading down the road near me heading for off-road ATV'ng and speed
runs
at El Mirage.   I still see huge crowds at the several Schutzhund shows in the
area, traveling from far away.  They have huge crowds at speedways from far
away. What does a ticket to a pro football game cost anymore, and hundreds of
cars at those games?   Went to an AB show yesterday to meet some folks and
there
were extremely large entries in many, many classes (except GSD...I think 3 or
4 there).   There is a National Soccer field around here and hundreds of cars
are there every weekend.   The gas situation is hurting ME terribly,but
others are budgeting it in and continuing on....just not in our dog shows.    I
don't know if it's the handler situation, either,although more big dogs are
being
owner handled and many of the smaller dogs are owner handled. Perhaps less
emphasis on Specialty shows to get the dogs back to the All Breeds, small rings
or not?   I don't know the answer, just know the questions and see what people
are doing alternatively.

Stormy
In a message dated 4/27/08 11:21:03 AM, firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Your question ["When middle class folks can't afford to show dogs what
> happens to the dog show scene ?"]describes the situation that already
> exists,especially at specialty shows.Look at the shrinking size of the
> entries at most specialties and futurities.Gas prices are only one small
> part of the story.Years ago I used to talk about "the 500 dollar
> weekend",meaning that a typical specialty weekend would cost the exhibitor
> showing one dog about 500 dollars.Today I would change that to "the 600
> dollar weekend".Do the math : hotel,handler,food,gas,entries,etc.If you have
> a good one you get to do that say fifteen times or so,then you have a
> champion.Then a friend that doesn't show dogs says,Do you get money when you
> win ?" And we say,"Not exactly..."

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
                                           Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car
listings at AOL Autos.