[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gas prices and showing

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:09:21 -0500

Your question ["When middle class folks can't afford to show dogs what
happens to the dog show scene ?"]describes the situation that already
exists,especially at specialty shows.Look at the shrinking size of the
entries at most specialties and futurities.Gas prices are only one small
part of the story.Years ago I used to talk about "the 500 dollar
weekend",meaning that a typical specialty weekend would cost the exhibitor
showing one dog about 500 dollars.Today I would change that to "the 600
dollar weekend".Do the math : hotel,handler,food,gas,entries,etc.If you have
a good one you get to do that say fifteen times or so,then you have a
champion.Then a friend that doesn't show dogs says,Do you get money when you
win ?" And we say,"Not exactly..."
      I understand that for those with deep pockets this kind of money is
relatively insignificant,but for the average Joe,that's lots of dough.I
think these facts partially explain why there are often more and larger
majors at all-breed shows in a given area : less travel,less expensive
handlers[or"do it yourself"],not to mention the perception[true or not]that
the average exhibitor has a better shot at winning at the all-breeds.
     On the bright side,if the average guy/gal has a good one and is
smart,he can beat the Big Poobahs at the specialties.That's the challenge
and the rush.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple