[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Standard- New Discussion

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:39:20 EDT

In a message dated 7/11/2006 1:27:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Boy, you  are going to make me think.  I personally feel it's a problem and
should be faulted, however since it's not covered in our standard as a  fault
then the judge that doesn't fault it, in essence would be  correct.  If it's
not
impairing the movement of the animal then it's  not a gait fault.  There's no
mention in the standard either, where  they discuss the tail.  I worry about
this being an indication of DM  or other physical problems that can cripple
our
breed, so again this is  something I will notice and take into serious
consideration.

Candy

"Tail bushy, with the last vertebra extended at least to the  hock joint. It
is set smoothly into the croup and low rather than high. At rest,  the tail
hangs in a slight curve like a saber. A slight hook- sometimes carried  to one
side-is faulty only to the extent that it mars general appearance. When  the
dog is excited or in motion, the curve is accentuated and the tail raised,  but
it should never be curled forward beyond a vertical line. Tails too short,  or
with clumpy ends due to ankylosis, are serious faults. A dog with a  docked
tail must be disqualified."

OK, Candy and D.D. you got me thinking too.  I say go ahead and  penalize it
Candy, and I think you can hang your hat on the section "When the  dog is
excited or in motion, the curve is accentuated and the tail  raised".  A dog in
motion whose tail is slapping off its hocks doesn't have  a tail that is
"raised".

Now, how serious or not serious...that's where the argument comes in.   And I
suppose a judge who penalizes this could be considered a "fault  judge".
It's rare that you would have equal specimens though, but if that  DID occur,
although the penalty is not defined in the standard, knowing the  horrible
downside of perpetuating neurological issues and the alarming number of  dead
tails
we're seeing....well if you were conservative and faulted it heavily,  I
wouldn't protest <G>.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_