[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SWIMMERS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:55:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2007 8:44:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Elsyd1@xxxxxxx writes:
I   believe it comes from
puppies that like to sleep on their tummies, much  as  babies who sleep on
their
backs can develop a flat head, unless  turned. Simple  cause and effect, in
my
opinion. Shalom,  Syd

I am sure that is also a cause for swimmers. I have done some experimenting
I have a dog who has a litter sister who was a swimmer. He sired 6 litters no
swimmers. Then I made a breeding with him and there were 2 swimmers out of 4
puppies. I didn't catch it early when I did at 2 weeks I discussed it with
friends and at least half of them said exactly what you said the other half
thought it was hereditary. So I repeated the litter. Three puppies in this
litter caught them coming out they were born with flat chests. Two of the three

were flat before they hit the ground. He has sired litters since with no
swimmers. But bred to one bitch 2 times produced 4 out of 7 puppies that were
born
swimmers. I would suspect it is a recessive. I am not suggesting that  normal
puppies from litters that have swimmers in it  not be used for  breeding. But
I think to use a corrected swimmer for breeding will increase the  chances of
swimmers. Just my opinion but not without foundation.
Fred Migliore