[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SWIMMERS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 00:34:10 EDT

Good point, but I think "born" swimmers (which I have never seen), are
somehow positioned in the womb with pressure on their chests. There seems to be

some empirical evidence that swimmers appear more often in small litters. I
think these pups are usually larger, and may have a somewhat unusual position
in
the womb, which possible causes them to be born as swimmers. . Syd

 In a message dated 5/31/2007 7:21:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx writes:

I am  sure that is also a cause for swimmers. I have done some experimenting

I have a dog who has a litter sister who was a swimmer. He sired 6 litters
no
swimmers. Then I made a breeding with him and there were 2  swimmers out of 4

puppies. I didn't catch it early when I did at 2  weeks I discussed it with
friends and at least half of them said  exactly what you said the other half
thought it was hereditary. So I  repeated the litter. Three puppies in this
litter caught them coming  out they were born with flat chests. Two of the
three
were flat  before they hit the ground. He has sired litters since with no
swimmers. But bred to one bitch 2 times produced 4 out of 7 puppies that
were  born
swimmers. I would suspect it is a recessive. I am not  suggesting that
normal
puppies from litters that have swimmers in  it  not be used for  breeding.
But
I think to use a corrected  swimmer for breeding will increase the  chances
of
swimmers. Just my  opinion but not without foundation.
Fred  Migliore

SYD  MAILBERG
_WWW.KINGSWOODGERMANSHEPHERDS.HOMESTEAD.COM_
(http://www.kingswoodgermanshepherds.homestead.com/)

"A  dog is a dog except when he is facing you. Then he is Mr. Dog." - Haitian
Farmer