[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SWIMMERS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Elsyd1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 17:49:20 -0700

I tend to agree with Syd.
The first swimmer I had was from a small litter. I would need to go back to
my records to find the exact count. However from my first litter of 11 along
with the majority, I found that if you have 6-8-10 puppies lining up at the
"feeding station", they position themselves somewhat on their side's.
If you have only one or two, they  are flat on their belly.
After observing this with a litter of 2, and having a swimmer in a previous
small litter(different sire and dam) I made up sock pups to place in the
whelping box with them. Their dam didn't  seem to mind.
I would fill a sock with several rolled or knotted socks and these "sock
pups" were about the size of a pup. This gave the whelps something to line
up against, and they tended not to lay as flat as they would otherwise.
Necessity is the mother of invention!

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA