[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pacing

  • From: "Peggy M" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Show GSD List" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 21:36:22 -0400

Well, there are only three reasons...two of them usual are conditioning and
conditioning.

It is easier for a 4-legged animal to pace than to trot...the trot shows
all, which is why it is the preferred gait to judge dogs by.....at least
with regard to soundness.  Less energy is expended...
sounds goofy, but it's true.

Conditioning is also the 2nd reason -- because the dog is not muscled up
and/or trained enough...he'll pace because it's easier.  (I know, I
know...it's the same thing said two different ways)

Finally, if something hurts when the dog trots, he'll pace to spare himself
the pain.   So...pacing he won't limp (or you won't see it) and if you make
him trot, he'll limp.......

Peggy