[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pacing

  • From: <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 17:00:25 -0700

Hey there Giselda!

I'm sure that you've had plenty of answers by now I still thought that I'd
offer up my take on pacing.

I feel that there are 2 main reasons that a dog paces.

1. They have either never completely come out of their walking gate which can
be considered a pace [left (front) left(rear)/right (front) right (rear)].

2. The dog is tired.

If a dog is pacing while in the ring its the responsbility of the handler to
feel it or see it and correct it ASAP. I don't feel that a judge can make a
sound assessment of a dogs movement while it is pacing and for that reason it
would be placed lower than a dog that was shown with correct movement.

Good question by the way!

Handlers perspective:
I watch the dog while we're moving and if it has already started off with a
pacing gate then I''ll either get my hand under the chin or lift with the lead
a bit to help them break up the pace and gate correctly. The best thing is to
not let the dog start off pacing. The easiest way to do that is to not start
off to slowly. With some longer striding dogs if you start off too slowly it
allows them to hold their walking gate longer and not move out correctly. I
personally like to get the dog excited so that it charges out a bit and usually
that will do the trick.

Rick Haase

Msg: #8 in digest
From: "Giselda & Art" <scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Pacing
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:41:27 -0700

Well way back when I had bred my very first litter, I had kept my male that I
had started to show, he paced a fair amount, and I could hear the comments on
the side and it really p'o'd me, I was new at this time to showing, so I
quickly
took offense, pulled my dog from the show ring and never showed him again,
amongst a few other comments.  He turned out to be the best dog I ever owned,
and never once let me down, and to this day I still shed tears for him as it
has only been a few months.
I had heard that it had been a major fault in the ring.  Do judges fault this
when they see it?  Or do they ignore the fact that they are pacing and just
simply look at the overall comformation of the dog?

Sorry I am asking so many questions but because I really claim to NOT have a
lot
of experience and I do want to show my own dogs, I am just curious.  I also was
at handling classes and my friends boxer was pacing, she was not happy about it
and so they actually set up small cavalettis for him to go over, this is
supposed to help him work a little better and not pace as much.  She does show
him in conformation and I don't know how it would affect the boxer breed.

Giselda