[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pacing

  • From: "Giselda & Art" <scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show GSD List" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:41:27 -0700

Well way back when I had bred my very first litter, I had kept my male that I
had started to show, he paced a fair amount, and I could hear the comments on
the side and it really p'o'd me, I was new at this time to showing, so I
quickly took offense, pulled my dog from the show ring and never showed him
again, amongst a few other comments.  He turned out to be the best dog I ever
owned, and never once let me down, and to this day I still shed tears for him
as it  has only been a few months.
I had heard that it had been a major fault in the ring.  Do judges fault this
when they see it?  Or do they ignore the fact that they are pacing and just
simply look at the overall comformation of the dog?

Sorry I am asking so many questions but because I really claim to NOT have a
lot of experience and I do want to show my own dogs, I am just curious.  I also
was at handling classes and my friends boxer was pacing, she was not happy
about it and so they actually set up small cavalettis for him to go over, this
is supposed to help him work a little better and not pace as much.  She does
show him in conformation and I don't know how it would affect the boxer breed.

Giselda