[ SHOWGSD-L ] National sites

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:22:35 -0400

Perhaps the following information will be helpful.  Most everyone just loved
Lexington, it so beautiful and the people there most gracious. We had hoped
Lexington would offer ALL of the amenities that were needed to host the
National Specialty, the Centennial, and the World Trials.  After spending a
great deal of  time & effort with other Board Members & Patty Korsh
investigating and talking to the hotels, the Lexington Horse Park, Convention
folks etc. we found the big stumbling block to be lack of International Flights
into Cincinnati. That killed the deal.  We could have gotten sheep, we could
have used acreage from the horse farms for tracking for a reasonable amount.
As for revenue.  The World Trials are historically a source of significant
income.  The 3 venues, Centennial, National Specialty and World Trials  will be
heavily advertised and promoted via funds that are raised from corporations and
individuals.   For example Royal Canine has sponsored the World Trials in
Europe many times.  World Trial Competition of this nature has not been seen on
this scope in the US.  It is the goal to have many spectators for the Trials
and also the National.  With the proper advertising and promotions,  there
should be, minimally, an attendance of 4 to 6 thousand spectators for the World
Trials and perhaps more.   Vending will play a large role in generating
revenue.  World Trial spectators always pay to attend.

 At this time (please read AT THIS TIME,) it appears that Philadelphia offers
us what is needed and perhaps Chicago.  We met with the Philadelphia convention
people, thanks to Bill and Dean for setting this up.  Philadelphia wants this
event there.  The manager of the Convention Bureau  has been an Executive TV
Producer and knows how to promote this event to the TV Audience.  This type of
3 tiered event can bring $'s into the City and surrounding areas.   Please feel
free to send questions and suggestions regarding the Centennial to me.  I am
happy to share any and all information on that venue as I possible can.

Nancy Harper-Mulvaney
Board Member & Centennial Chair