[ SHOWGSD-L ] National sites

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:59:07 -0700

> While I totally agree that rotating is the way to go - this year,
> Ohio, is
> supposed to be the "East Coast" national.  Can anyone tell me what
> coast
> Ohio is on???
Karen is right, this issue is irresolvable... We will never agree as
to east/west, north/south or who deserves a national more than others.

I like to divide the US map into four sections, with the center being
somewhere in North Kansas. Since there are no big cities there, we
should all just go into a field and have our show, camping out
together. Sounds fun to me. I love camping. Anyway, if you then divide
the two east/west portions of the nation from there, then Colorado is
indeed in the mid-west and Ohio is in the east and St. Louis is in the
mid-east - or is that a new word... I know, the pilgrims never
referred to a mid-east. It was all west to them.

But, unfortunately, the airlines do not divide the nation evenly,
preferring to set up their hubs (where dogs can go) where they can
fill their planes. They really do not care who hasn't had a national
and who deserves one more. Maybe we should better educate them, the
scoundrels. They really should play fair.

So rotating is a good idea, but the more you refine the locations of
that rotation, the more you move away from the masses. That is, if we
argue that everyone should have a national in the proximity of their
home occasionally, then we should occasionally have one in Pine Ridge,
SD. See, fair can also damage our entry, unless of course we leave the
dogs out and just have a convention - which is a good idea also.

If we want to keep the entries up as much as possible, then we might
want to think more like the airlines, assuming of course that they
do - think that is! <g> In which case, it is not about its being near
me, but about it being the most accessible to the most people with
some rotation to major hubs.

At least that is how I've been thinking - assuming anyone would agree
that I think at all.
Dave