[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Let's all get real

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:14:15 -0400

I'm replying to my own post... how wacky is that??
;-)
In the time since I posted my 2 cents... I've thought of a better way to say
what I said! ;-)

I was responding to:
"....In ...the real world, dogs are specialized within the breed. Every herding
aficionado wants shepherds from herding lines, and top echelon agility and
obedience people also seek out those breeders that excel in those venues. We
have got
to stop making Gods out of these dogs. They are dogs. They cannot do it all. "

The *New & Improved* short & sweet response:

The biggest obstacle a GSD should have to 'doing it all' should be the owner.

:-D

Now to ruin the short & sweet part by babbling:

Our dogs can be trained to do anything! I've heard of people using GSDs as gun
dogs... retrieving
birds.  That's definately outside of the norm, but for a naturally agile &
smart breed like ours it
shouldn't be shocking that it has been done.

The drawback should be the owner's desire.  Not the dog's physical or mental
makeup.
I don't want to have an obedience GSD, a show GSD and a herding GSD in 3
different GSDs who look
totally different! Blech! As I said before, I'm not big into obedience, but
qualifying scores should
not require 'sleeping with the judge' ;-)

Diane
(off to feed the sheep... finally)