[ SHOWGSD-L ] Let's all get real

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:52:06 EST

In a message dated 12/2/04 7:53:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
> So now I've come back to my original point - a dog that meets the standard
> should be able to do it ALL.

I agree with Kelly, but my point is that we are breeding for a purpose, not a
truth that exists outside what we are trying to do. If you want to allow dogs
to "free breed' they will eliminate the fatal genes in but a few generations.
 As with any breeding herd, they will kill off the weaker ones, and the ones
that survive will be the strongest.

My point, which as normal I did not make clear, is that we have established a
target, and when the breed deviates from the target, it is a breed problem
FOR US AND OUR GOALS.  It may not truly be a breed problem except for what we
are trying to obtain.

The standard is what we decided to make it.  A white shepherd is a breed
problem in conformation.  A missing tooth is a conformation breed problem.
Neither of those are breed problems in obedience.

We should not lose sight of the fact that we establish what a breed problem
is, except for something that affects the health or well-being of the breed.
The rest is what we make of it, or decide to all a problem.

The final word is that a breed problem is anything that causes me to lose in
the ring.  Therefore, I suspect my handling ability could be called a breed
problem.

Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together