[ SHOWGSD-L ] Let's all get real

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:44:38 EST

In a message dated 12/2/04 8:53:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, PAGAIRS writes:
> Evan you have NOT answered my question...you made a statement about "breed
> problems"...I asked a question "what do you consider breed problems"...please
> quit changing the subject (which your good for, guess its a lawyer thing)
> and answer the question.

Sorry, I didn't know you were serious. Most people who ask me a serious
question, do so in private.  But, I have no problem answering you.

In my opinion, (which is the only one that counts) a breed problem is
anything that interferes with the health, future or safety of the animal.

I also consider a breed problem anything that creates a fault in the breed,
but that is only as to the venue of showing that you are trying to enter. In
other words, if you want to show in agility, a breed problem would be a dog
less
agile than required, If you want to show in conformation it would be anything
that does not meet the standard, if you want to show in Schutzhund, it might
be a weak bite, so it is a dynamic answer.

If you want just a basic idea for me of a breed problem in generic terms, I
will stick with my first answer.

We in the breed have set a target, based on a person or person's ideal.  We
who chose to compete in that arena, have to find a way to meet the goals set
up, (the standard) or decide we have other priorities.  And there is nothing
wrong with that.  If we are going to breed for conformation we have to do so to
meet the conformation standard.

Since I, and many others have decided to dedicate ourselves to reaching the
goals set up by the standard, any deviation from the standard must by
definition, be a breed problem. Does that make it true, or authentic problem?
Only for
that venue, or that person.

Other than meeting the goals of the standard, the only breed problem that
truly exists in the overall scheme of things has to be anything that endangers
the future of the breed.

You asked for a serious answer to a very good question. I hope that works for
you.

Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together