[ SHOWGSD-L ] Let's all get real

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:50:26 EST

In a message dated 12/2/04 12:47:30 PM, ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I also consider a breed problem anything that creates a fault in the
breed,
but that is only as to the venue of showing that you are trying to enter. In
other words, if you want to show in agility, a breed problem would be a dog
less
agile than required, If you want to show in conformation it would be anything
that does not meet the standard, if you want to show in Schutzhund, it might
be a weak bite, so it is a dynamic answer. >>

I put the line in bold so as to be clear about what I wish to say.  I
disagree with the statement "only as to the venue we are trying to enter".

I started in obedience, like many others.  At that time, obedience &
conformation people hated eachother and never the twain did meet!

1996 was my first National, and I was a ring steward in obedience.  I had my
breed dog entered for his TC and HIC, but felt too novice to enter him in
breed at the National.  In 96, it was great seeing the Champions who were in
the
obedience ring.

Our standard is far more exacting than most.  It is my belief that if we are
truly breeding to the standard, you can put that dog in any venue and the dog
will be successful IF THEY ARE CORRECT.  A dog that does not cover ground
efficiently is not going to make it in the conformation ring OR the herding
ring.

A shy dog may be conformationally correct, but if they spook in the ring,
they would also spook in a TC or Schutzhund Trial. That is a fault of
temperament.

We have the greatest breed in the entire world and there is much talk about
breeding for the total dog.  While we may not have the time or money to obtain
titles in several arenas with the same dog, the dog should be CAPABLE of doing
it.

Fortunately we're no longer throwing stones or spitting on those in the
"other" rings, we are embracing our breeds magnificence and showing that they
can
do it all.

So now I've come back to my original point - a dog that meets the standard
should be able to do it ALL.

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds