[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How to keep a club from closing down

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:19:06 EST

In a message dated 1/11/2006 11:58:21 A.M. Central Standard Time,
sally@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This is one of the problems with Futurity weeks.  They hurt  the  speciality
clubs-

sally
But it is more than that Sally.  We used to sister with another  club and had
a spring and fall show.  We are on our own now.   The fall date was still
available, but it was always in a conflict with  the national, either the
weekend
before, of or after.  Any of them  brings entries down for us.  So we opted
for a spring weekend, with  hopes of having a futurity every so often to help
bring revenue back to  the club so we could keep going.  But we see many clubs
have now got  spring shows, I think several changed their normal weekends.  We
 cannot hold summer shows as it is way too hot to be outside with the dogs
or we have to rent a place, and there again goes our finances.  We  are
splitting our conformation and obedience shows this year and including  rally
and all
breeds with the hopes it helps us break even.  Its will  be a guessing game
how this will work.   Some say we all have to  show more.  Our members do what
we can, but again as you point out it  is so expensive now, you have to be a
bit more selective.  The next  couple of years will be our indicator on if we
are here in 4 or 5  years.  We  are a small club will less than 20 members and
perhaps 6-8 workers that carry it all.
Keep your fingers crossed for us, and feel free to come on down to  Texas
anytime and enjoy our hospitality.
For info on our upcoming shows and events feel free to check out our
website, which by the way exists from member donations, not club  money.
_www.gsdcofbeaumont.com_ (http://www.gsdcofbeaumont.com)

Molly

Trillia  German  Shepherds