[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bi-Color Inheritance in GSDs, only.

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:15:19 -0600

At 09:51 AM 12/29/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>I thought that they also have to have black hocks. Is this true. Ann, who
>has never had a bi-color.
>DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx wrote:I still say a Bi Color is just a really dark Black
>& Tan so what Carolyn is
>saying is asbolutely correct....
>Deb

Well, I have had a ton of them <grin>.   Actually, I do like a dark dog but
really think
that some people call a very, very dark dog a bi-color when it isn't one.
     Someone said that a totally
black face indicates the bi-color.    My 10 year old girl, Bitta is very
dark & has a
totally black face.   However, she does not have the black hocks & black
toes, she
does have tan going way up her legs and a mixture of tan & black on her inside
rear legs and tummy.    To me, this says that she is a very dark blk/tan -
not a bi-color.

Though I have bred many bi's, I'm not sure of the inheritance of such.   I
know that
some lines seem to have a lot of them & some lines never have them, so it
should
be some type of genetic influence.

My Legend is a darkish Black/dark Tan.  However in all of the litters that
he sired,
only one litter did not have at least one bi-color in it.   None of the dams
of these litters were in the least bit related to each other in the first
few generations
and none of them were bi-colors themselves.

BTW neither of Legend's parents nor grandparents were bi-colors
either.    Guess
all this just means that I don't know any absolute "rules" about bi-colors
- but I do
like them :):):)

Sandy

Sandra Kozub