[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bi-Color Inheritance in GSDs, only.

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peter Cacioppo" <PeterCacioppo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:48:22 -0800

 I see it is time> for the GSD Bi-Color questions.  To save > Carolyn Martello
 and or Tedi Ginsburg from having to send their once a year> answers to the
question, I copied and> pasted from my web page the answer>>
> The only colors of German Shepherds are Sable, Black> > and Tan,
Bi-Color and Black.  Sable is the most dominant > > and Black is the
 least dominant.  The Sire will have two color > > factors and the Dam
 will have two color factors.  The puppy > > will get one of its two color
 factors from the Sire and one from> > the Dam.  Thus if a puppy gets a
Black color factor from its> > Sire and a Bi-Color factor from its Dam,
the puppy will be a Bi-Color > > in looks and will have one Bi-Color factor
 and one Black factor, > > since as stated above, Bi-Color is dominant
 over Black.> > Peter Cacioppo, CFP...Eagle Hill
                   *************************************
Interesting.......I was going to try to stay out of this bi-annual /  bi-color
discussion this time.  I am no expert on color inheritance because most of
the time color doesn't matter to me.........but this one really surprised me.

We have gotten bi-colors since we started in the Breed with a bi color bitch
and have never EVER found this to be the case!   ( black gene needed )
We have always had bi colors off and on through the years, and NEVER,
EVER had a dog that carried the solid black factor until we used CAISSON
for breeding!
If bi-color is one of "the colors" in the Breed.......why would it "need" one
parent to carry the black factor to be a bi color?   Does a black and tan "need"
another color on one parent to result in a black and tan?   They either carry
the black and tan gene ( or not )  and I believe it is the same with bi colors.

Solid black being a recessive obviously needs both parents to carry the gene.
Why would a bi color need a solid black to produce a bi when it is it's own
self color.......it is not a color you "build to"......?
ANDRETTI produced a lot of of bi colors.....did he,  or all those bitches carry
the black factor?   I don't THINK so..............???
My assumption and experience has always been that the bi color inherits the
bi color factor from one of the parents ......NO solid black gene is needed????

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com