[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bi-Color Inheritance in GSDs, only.

  • From: rayplummer@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, "Peter Cacioppo" <PeterCacioppo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:20:08 -0800

This discussion is interesting in many ways.  While it has been
awhile since I've been breeding or been going to shows for that
matter, it has been many many years since I've seen a true bi-color
GSD.

Most of the Bi-color appearing dogs I have seen are actually not
true bi's but are black and tans with a heavy coverage factor for
black. The reason I say this is that most of the dogs that are called
Bi-Color have several shades of tan and or red or the yellows, while
a true bi color will have only 2 colors and no shading.

I have also seen bi-colored dogs in grey and black. Look like a
sable only there are only 2 colors of hair. Generally in Germany
these dogs are referred to as Grey dogs and not sables. While here
they are just called sables.

Ray

It is similar to blacks. A true black will be all black with maybe a
small spot of white on the chest or on the tail tip. It will stay black
all its life. It will not get brown or tan toes and hocks as it ages.

On 29 Dec 2004 at 8:48, Carolyn wrote:

>  I see it is time> for the GSD Bi-Color questions.  To save > Carolyn
>  Martello and or Tedi Ginsburg from having to send their once a year>
>  answers to the
> question, I copied and> pasted from my web page the answer>>
> > The only colors of German Shepherds are Sable, Black> > and Tan,
> Bi-Color and Black.  Sable is the most dominant > > and Black is the
>  least dominant.  The Sire will have two color > > factors and the Dam
>  will have two color factors.  The puppy > > will get one of its two color
>  factors from the Sire and one from> > the Dam.  Thus if a puppy gets a
> Black color factor from its> > Sire and a Bi-Color factor from its Dam,
> the puppy will be a Bi-Color > > in looks and will have one Bi-Color
> factor
>  and one Black factor, > > since as stated above, Bi-Color is dominant
>  over Black.> > Peter Cacioppo, CFP...Eagle Hill
>                    *************************************
> Interesting.......I was going to try to stay out of this bi-annual /
> bi-color discussion this time.  I am no expert on color inheritance
> because most of the time color doesn't matter to me.........but this one
> really surprised me.
>
> We have gotten bi-colors since we started in the Breed with a bi color
> bitch and have never EVER found this to be the case!   ( black gene needed
> ) We have always had bi colors off and on through the years, and NEVER,
> EVER had a dog that carried the solid black factor until we used CAISSON
> for breeding!   If bi-color is one of "the colors" in the Breed.......why
> would it "need" one parent to carry the black factor to be a bi color?
> Does a black and tan "need" another color on one parent to result in a
> black and tan?   They either carry the black and tan gene ( or not )  and
> I believe it is the same with bi colors.
>
> Solid black being a recessive obviously needs both parents to carry the
> gene. Why would a bi color need a solid black to produce a bi when it is
> it's own self color.......it is not a color you "build to"......? ANDRETTI
> produced a lot of of bi colors.....did he,  or all those bitches carry the
> black factor?   I don't THINK so..............??? My assumption and
> experience has always been that the bi color inherits the bi color factor
> from one of the parents ......NO solid black gene is needed????
>
> Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
> www.marhaven.com

> == POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the

> BE PROSECUTED.

> ==

Ray & Nancy Plummer
GSD Girls...Elektra & WOK