[rollei_list] Re: [off-topic] The new Fuji will be sold ... and affordable ?

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:13:39 -0400

Hi Robert,

> I've bought three Super Ikonta IV's in the last few years,
> because I had one
> as a teenager, my first serious camera, and had great results
> from it (still
> have the negatives I shot then).  I have bought three in resent years
> because each one was not sharp.   I finally sent one to to
> whats-his-name on
> Bald Mountain to be alligned, and it came back still not
> critically sharp.
> The standard I use is to make an 8x10 print and look at it with a 4x
> magnifier.   Rollei shots are very crisp at that degree of enlargement.
> The Super Ikonta shots are all much less than crisp.   I gave up on Super
> Ikontas.

I have used the Super Ikontas extensively...but I can't make any claims on the
B/III/IV series as I haven't closely examined any of the negs from them.  But,
I can say that the 6x9 C Tessar has been superbly sharp in my personal
experience.  Someone posted some shots on the web, with very small areas
enlarged...showing some surprising sharpness/detail.  I'll see if I can find
that web page.

Now, I'll also have to shoot some shots with the IV and see...

Regards,

Austin