[rollei_list] Re: [off-topic] The new Fuji will be sold ... and affordable ?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:33:59 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "FRANK DERNIE" <frank.dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 3:05 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: [off-topic] The new Fuji will be sold ... and affordable ?

This is absolutely true, a waste of the lenses! Most Voigtlander cameras are mechanically excellent. The Bessa is an exception and in no way does justice to the lens, particularly when fairly well used. I knew nothing about these cameras until investigating on behalf of a friend of my wife's the value of a camera she inherited when her father died. It was like new and was very valuable as a collectors item but not a very good design as a user camera, compared to a Super Ikonta, the only other folding MF camera with which I am familiar.
Frank

The Super-Ikonta and its predecessor the Super-Ikomat are interesting designs. Because the lens is front element focusing the camera bed can be made quite rigid. The rangefinder is also of an excellent design and relatively proof against damage. The shortcoming, of course, is the front element focusing. I suspect that a modern front element focuser could be made where the corrections would be optimised along with the change in focal length but this is not the case in the older types. In fact, the lens is a sort of rudementary zoom lens but where a zoom lens is designed to say in focus for a given object and image distance the FEF lens simply changes focal length. A curious byproduct of this is that the field of view stays the same with distance so that a simple frame finder will be accurate at all distances (except for parallax). Zeiss evidently knew how to get the best compromise for FEF lenses because the Super-Ikonta has a very good reputation for sharpness but this certainly is in part due to the rigid platform and excellent rangefinder.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA