[rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:14:20 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "todd belcher" <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:03 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

Woody - what do you mean when you say 'the two sides of the lens panel don't move simultaneously?' How are you determining this?

What you see of the front of the camera is independent of the lens board. Let's call what you see - the black painted part with the lens bayonets, the Front Panel. The Front Panel is mounted to the Lens Board of the camera via shims. The Lens Board is mounted to Focus Struts via shims (Mr Bigler is incorrect regarding the four screws in the E TLRs). Most likely the Front Panel is incorrectly shimmed to the Lens Board and any discrepancy you see regarding 'misalignment' is cosmetic. It is possible the Lens Board is incorrectly shimmed, or the Focus Struts bent, but not likely.

As long as the pics you take are in focus along a flat plane, parallel to the film plane, I'd not worry about it.

regards,
todd

I am pretty sure what Woody meant was a wobbling from side to side of the lensboard while focusing. In my experience, from using the wrong lubricant on a camera, this is due to the focus cam mechanism as I described. Since the lens board does not necessarily stop in a parallel condition its IMO a problem which should be fixed.
The parallelism of the lens board itself, as you know, is adjusted in all up to the F series by shims between the lens board and the support, and the front panel is again shimmed to make it parallel although this has no effect on the lens.
I suspect actual loss of alignment of the lens board is pretty rare and I suspect mostly the result of incompetent repair work.
I think Woody's camera needs some attention. Perhaps list members can find a suitable repair person who is accessible to him.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx