[rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

  • From: "steven woody" <narkewoody@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:58:23 +0800

On 8/16/06, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "steven woody" <narkewoody@xxxxxxxxx> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:16 AM Subject: [rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

> On 8/15/06, Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >> Steven, where is the original thread anyway? (I missed it >> so I don't >> know exactly which camera, details, etc) > > on this page you can access the list archive: > //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list/07-2006/ > >> I am also suspicious. >> >> Is there slack in the panel? I would think with damaged >> cams, one would >> be able to wiggle it around. If someone disassembled it, >> there are some >> brass shims under the front panel to make it lie flat >> against the body >> at the infinity position. >> >> To really access the focus cams, you need to pull both >> sides of the >> camera apart. Its a big job, also a profitable job for >> your repairman. >> Marvin ought to know good repairmen - I've purchased >> Rollei components >> before from him on ebay. > > the repair man not take off the both side, he told me he > just take off > the front, different from what people said here. i dont't > know which > way is better. > > and, i think i need to contact Marvin. but he've not reply > by far. > >> > I would like more information. Ruined how? Its hard to >> > understand how the focus cams could be damaged that >> > badly. The camera I taught myself on exhibited this >> > wiggling when a used to light a lubricant on the cams. >> > When I put thicker stuff on it worked fine. Lets say I >> > am not convinced. >> > You can see the cam on the focus knob side by >> > removing the focus knob, which is not difficult. It is >> > not necessary to remove the side panel. >> > >> > >> > >> > -- >> > Richard Knoppow >> > dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >> > Los Angeles, CA, USA >> >

   You can't tell anything about the focus cams by removing
the front. The cams are on the shaft turned by the focus
knob. They work the front panel through cam followers. The
cam followers are spring loaded pins (I can't think of a
better word). The pressure against the cam is adjustable. If
its not great enough, or if the wrong lubricant is used the
focus is too loose and the front panel can be pushed or
pulled by hand. If too tight, if uneven, if, again, wrong
lubricant is used, the front panels will wobble sideways as
its focused. If you have this problem its probably due to
either completely dry lubricant or perhaps the camera was
worked on by someone who didn't know what they were doing.
   The focus knob side cam can be inspected and reached by
removing the focus knob. I would take off the side plate to
work on it. The focus cam on the wind side is under the wind
mechanism but can be seen for inspection without
disassembling the wind mechanism. It does require removing
the side panel. This is not a big job once you are familiar
with how to do it but can be a bit daunting the first time.
   The point of all these words is that I suspect your
camera is _not_ broken but just needs a good cleaning and
some adjustment and lubricating by a really good technician.
   Unfortunately, the cost of servicing a camera has nothing
much to do with its value or cost. Most of the charge if for
labor, which is skilled hand work and takes some time.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you very much.  i am not totally believe the repair man i used,
but i have not get another one in the city.  this is the problem. so,
i hope someone on the list can introduce me to a really good
technician in Hongkong where is not so far from here.

and, if possible, i hope you or other one can kindly give me a fully
step by step guide in how to remove the camera sides and the wind and
the focus knob until i can really check what happened inside the body.

many thanks to you.

--
Celine: Yes, of course! Now that makes total sense, right? You're a
Capricorn, I'm a Sagittarius, that's why we get along so well!