[rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:47:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 6:59 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

I have an Automat that is mildly out at infinity. That "not focus at any
distance," I suspect is a shifted lens element."
P.J. Nebergall

Do you mean that nothing in any picture is in focus or that the finder and taking lenses are never in focus at the same time? If the first, there is something wrong with the taking lens. If the second, the taking and finder lenses are out of coincidence. The first could happen but is unlikely, if this is the problem check to see that both lens cells are screwed in all the way. The second problem requires adjusting the finder lens focus. The difficulty is that the covering of the lens board must be removed. Coincidence can be set at any distance. Once set the two lenses should track at all distances. Infinity focus is set for both lenses by the infinity stop, which is part of the focus knob. The knob fastens to the focus axel by means of a sort of collet. This setting can be done on most Rolleis by taking the cover off the focus knob and on cameras with built in lightmeters by taking the lightmeter indicator off the knob.
It could also be caused by the focus screen not being seated correctly. In the Automat, and other models with non-removable focus screens the screen is referenced to the inside surface of the focus hood and is held against it a couple of flat springs. It is possible for the screen to become cocked slightly. Sometimes just pushing in on the screen with a finger (or eraser end of a pencil) and jiggling it a little will get it seated right.
I think the only element in either lens that can be gotten back incorrectly is the middle element of the viewing lens. It can be installed reversed. The finder image is then awful. The middle element is biconcave with almost, but not quite, equal curvature on either side so its hard to tell visually which side is which.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx