[rollei_list] Re: Who uses a T as a 'daily driver'

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:46:52 -0500

Marc -

The ideal design speed of a miniature format 50 mm Tessar at that time
(and probably now) would be f/4-f/4.5. So, with apologies to Ivor, a
Tessar with an actual design speed of f/2.8 will not be best at f/4.

Very few lenses are produced at their optimal design speed. The only
recent example I can think of is the C/V Heliar 50/3.5. That lens
tested best at f/3.5 and by all accounts it is a truly remarkable
optic.

Eric Goldstein